There are many website builders that promise to help you create an amazing site, but not all of them suit lawn care services. You will find a lot of general services that target a wide variety of businesses.
However, if you want to put out content on lawn care and attract users to your site, go for the best lawn care website builder. It will save you time and enhance the functionality and quality of your site.
Lawn Care Websites
Before we begin, I feel like I need to give some background of my past experience in websites. About 10 + years ago I decided I needed a website for my landscaping business. After tons of research, I landed on WordPress.
This was definitely the long, time consuming route but I didn't have much money so I didn't really have a choice. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I slowly advanced my skills and ended up loving building websites.
Fast forward to today and I have built over 50 websites. Everything from blogs like this, gym websites, Saas (software as a service) products, and numerous lawn care/landscaping websites.
I still to this day take on some clients but I primarily only build lawn care websites now. My mix of industry knowledge and technical experience is the perfect mix so I like to stick to that.
I say all of that to say this, I am a technical guy and know a thing or two about building a website
Best Lawn Care Website Builders
In this review, we consider the most reliable website builders that can meet the needs of lawn care. The criteria that we use to judge each builder includes:
- The features that are useful to build a lawn care website.
- The pros of the builder, including special features.
- The cons or disadvantages of the builder.
Now, let’s dive in and review the Best Lawn Care Website Builders for Beginners in 2020!
Squarespace is a commercial drag-and-drop builder that uses templates to build the website. You can drag an element into a column or row in a grid.
The builder is meant to help you organize and understand your page layout by looking at the grid and placing various elements wherever you want. Beginners will find this useful as it does not require a lot of knowledge about plugins.
- A grid-based interface
- Drag-and-drop capability
- Responsive design
- Mobile-friendly design
- SEO tools
- Newsletter tools
- 24/7 ticket system and live chat support
Squarespace has a good number of pros that are really hard to ignore. Here is a list of some of its pros:
- It puts emphasis on visuals, which may help you build a lawn care website that focuses on presenting lawns. You will be able to see a live preview of your website as you build over your template.
- A large selection of templates that you can customize.
- CSS that is easy to customize helps you change the look of your website. The builder lets you access and easily customize CSS.
- Third-party apps are easy to integrate with plugins. The builder facilitates interfacing apps that are built on other platforms.
- Premium e-commerce and SEO services.
It is important to look at the downsides of a builder, and for Squarespace, the cons include the following issues:
- It costs more than Wix, Weebly, and WordPress. You will find them charging a few to several extra dollars for a feature.
- You need plugins to integrate third-party apps. If your app does not have a relevant plugin, you may not be able to integrate it onto your lawn care site.
- It may restrict the amount of content based on the template.
Squarespace has more pros than cons for lawn care sites. The pros offered by Squarespace make it easy and convenient to build a beautiful website in a short period of time when compared to other website builders. Therefore, Squarespace is one of the Best Lawn Care Website Builders for Beginners in 2021
Wix is a website builder that helps you create HTML5 pages for your website. It works well on both desktop and mobile.
HTML5 solves a lot of problems in web development as it improves website ranking, speed, and user experience. If you want to use videos, it helps if you upload videos with a small file size to let the videos load and play faster. Wix is a freemium service, which means that most features are free but the best ones require payment.
- Drag-and-drop features
- HTML5-based templates with most elements found in graphics design and web development
- A grid-style interface
- Apps that you can use and customize
- Free, reliable web hosting
Wix has a lot of advantages that make it stand out among the Best Lawn Care Website Builders for Beginners in 2020. The advantages of this website builder include:
- it is a freemium service, which means that you can start using it right away even without paying for it. You can even get free hosting and can enjoy the service without paying a dime.
- It provides more apps and has richer features than other builders.
- The range of apps that you get on Wix is wide and has apps that are specially made for lawn care services.
- You can run ads on your website even on a starter plan.
- Beginners will find it easy to launch and use a website built from Wix.
Although Wix offers a lot of great features out of the box, it also has its cons:
- You won’t be able to transfer your site to another builder or platform. If you do, you will have to start from scratch.
- Its premium plans do not support multi-sites.
- Free plans will force you to display the Wix logo or Wix branding on your site.
- You cannot interchange templates.
It is safe to say that Wix can work for lawn care websites, especially if you need to use free services or access a large variety of premium apps and services.
If you are after a website that's free of charge, we highly recommend Wix for you. However, if you are looking for a more premium experience while having that flexibility in customization, then Wix is not the best website for you.
WordPress is a completely free website builder that you can install and use in any way that you like. It is open-source, which means that anyone can use and change the builder. It is unique because you also get free templates that you can completely customize without paying any fee.
- A free, accessible, and customizable database. The builder helps you set up your database at the very beginning.
- Plenty of free templates that you can customize on WordPress.
- A very large community of developers that also create custom templates for lawn care services and other niches.
- PHP-based pages that load fast. PHP is an efficient web language used on websites that enables pages to load quickly.
- Thousands of free and paid plugins, which you can use to expand basic functionalities offered by WordPress.
- It is easy and simple to use and customize, which makes it easy for web developers to do modifications to the website.
- Stable as it is constantly updated to support the latest web standards.
- Attractive design options since WordPress offers thousands of themes, many of which are free, allowing you to customize your website according to your needs.
- Supports thousands of plugins, both free and paid, to provide your business with the functionalities it needs.
- Content management is made easy with WordPress by assigning roles such as Editor, Administrator, Author, and Limited to users. Roles restrict or allow certain permissions to users.
- WordPress is open-source, which means you can completely modify the source code according to your requirements.
Even if WordPress is packed with so many features, it still has some cons. Some of its cons are:
- Building a custom website with WordPress requires you to learn programming.
- When you encounter a very unique problem that is not documented, you have to research and solve it yourself or rely on a different WordPress Developer to do it.
- It does not offer free hosting for custom websites, which means you need to subscribe to a web hosting service.
WordPress is the best free website builder for beginners that want to fully own and customize their sites.
Weebly is a website builder that operates from your browser. It allows you to edit the components and templates by making direct changes to it. Weebly has always been focused on constantly improving its platform's technology.
- A free Weebly domain
- Beautiful customizable templates
- Free web hosting
- Widget-based editor
- Drag-and-drop feature
Weebly stands out among most other website builders as it has the following benefits:
- It is extremely easy to use. The builder applies the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get approach. When you edit your site, you can reload the live page and see the changes.
- It offers free beautiful templates/themes for beginners that are responsive to both desktop and mobile.
- A widget-based editor is intuitive and easy to understand.
- It offers you a lot of information on SEO.
- Allows assigning of roles to the users, which restricts or allows access to certain features.
The main drawbacks of Weebly include:
- Some of the themes are extremely difficult to customize.
- Shared hosting is not allowed.
- It is completely external and no controllable software.
- It is difficult to scale for a fast-growing business.
Weebly is a great choice for small businesses that are slowly growing. It is the easiest to use, but its flexibility in designing your website is very limited.
5. Custom Website
A custom site is an option of building your website from scratch without relying on templates/themes provided by builders. When you go for this option, you may have to hire a web developer, or if you're a web developer, do it yourself.
- It's the most customizable option.
- You get to decide on everything, from the font style to the overall look and feel of the website.
If you choose to go for a custom lawn care site, you will get the following benefits:
- Flexibility in changing any part or process of web development.
- The ability to use the services of developers that fit your budget.
- The ability to consider scalability and build a site that grows with your business.
Most people don’t build custom lawn care sites because the process has the following cons:
- It is complicated for beginners that have no web development knowledge or experience.
- Relying on another person to manage the process can be risky.
- The project can fail and would require more resources to reboot.
The verdict for custom websites is that they are great if you are looking for a fully customizable website. However, it is not the best option for beginners who are looking to start a lawn care site.
Want to work with me?
If you are in need of a custom WordPress site I am currently accepting clients. I only work with a very limited amount of clients at a time. This allows me to give the necessary time and attention to each person I work with.
If you are interested in working with me on your website or search engine optimization feel free to contact me.
DIY vs Hiring Someone
So which should you do? This really depends on your budget for a lawn care website. A website builder is definitely the less expensive route while hiring someone is going to be more expensive.
However, if you decide to go the route of hiring someone make sure the person has a knowledge and experience. At a minimum, they should have a good portfolio.
Take it from someone who has build over 50 + websites in his life… it is not easy and it takes a lot of time to gain the skills to effectively build a good, reliable website.
The DIY route will be less expensive but it will also be the most time-consuming. If this is your first time building a site, even with a website builder it will take some time.
You will probably be able to figure out the actual website builder fairly quickly but it will have a little learning curve. It will also take you time to get images, write content, add pages, and other hidden things that take time to build a website.
Overall, it depends if you want to spend time doing the job or spend money. If I were just starting out or had a low budget I would probably start out with a website builder.
How much does a lawn care website cost?
A website can cost anywhere from $10-20 a month for a website builder or up to $3,000 + for a high-quality custom built website by a professional. On average I would expect to pay $1,500 – $3,000 for a 5 – 10 page website completely designed and developed.
It may seem like a high upfront cost but it is 100% worth it and will have the highest ROI of any other marketing you do. It is a 24/7 billboard for your website and the foundation of all your future marketing efforts.
In my opinion, if you cheap out or have a bad website there's no point in doing any other online marketing. Stick to flyers, door hangers, and postcards until you have enough for a great website.
Should I Hire a Web Designer or Agency?
If you can find it, I would much rather have a specialized web designer that knows the lawn care and landscaping industry than a generalized agency. These agencies do a pretty good job but they don't truly understand the industry and your customer.
Don't get me wrong there is some agency that does a great job. I would make sure they have at least a couple of lawn care or landscaping websites in their portfolio if you decide to go with them.
Which Website Builder is the best?
Personally, I like WordPress the best. It is the most flexible and scalable option for a website. There is a reason why over 25% of all websites are using WordPress… heck, even this website is built on WordPress.
It is an incredible CMS that has tons of different customization options. Since you are able to either customer code, use a theme and customize, or use one of many different page builders there are unlimited possibilities.
WordPress is also free… all you would have to pay for is hosting (which is very cheap) and a domain (maybe $10 per year.) Even if you take the time to learn the basics of WordPress I personally think it is worth it. It's actually how I built my first website for my lawn care business over 10 years ago.
Need a custom website?
I am currently accepting a limited number of website and SEO clients for 2021. If you are in need of a website for your lawn care or landscaping company click the link below to see if we're a good fit. I look forward to hearing from you!
We have reviewed the Best Lawn Care Website Builders for Beginners in 2020, and it is clear that the best ones are Wix and WordPress. However, you also get outstanding features from Squarespace and Weebly.
A custom website may only suit people that have the knowledge or resources for a web development project. You can build a unique lawn care website with any of these options. Now that you've learned about their difference, it's time to make your decision on which website builder to use.
Don't forget to check our other articles here!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join over 1200+ others on our mailing list and receive the latest news on commercial/residential lawnmowers, handheld equipment, and the lawn care industry. You will also receive a link to our most popular mower resources toolkit!
2 Replies to “Best Lawn Care and Landscaping Website Builders”
Do you build web sites for clients ?
I own a landscaping company and I want a great website with lots of seo.
Yes, I do! Happy to help. I sent you an email.