Are you keen on getting the right information and knowledge to help you pick up the right electric zero turn mower? If the answer is yes, then you are in the right place.
In this article, we will be looking at seven different brands of zero turn mowers that are battery powered. We will also look at more useful information about zero turn electric mowers. We are sure it will help you to buy the right mower based on knowledge rather than hitting a blind shot in the sky.
Innovations in Zero Turn Electric Turn Mowers
Electric turn mowers have been around for many years now, and over the years, they have started replacing gas mowers because of some obvious advantages. They are not as polluting as gas mowers and have many user-friendly features.
However, we know that technology always keeps changing and is never static. Therefore, there are a few exciting and interesting innovations as far as electric turn mowers are concerned. While the design features are becoming more streamlined, some technological improvements are in tune with changing times and situations.
Today's three biggest technological innovations are mobile phone technology, computers, and the internet. Hence, we are now seeing the incorporation of these technologies in modern-day electric turn mowers.
The motors that power the mowers are becoming more powerful and more fuel-efficient. Further, technologies like Bluetooth and a few other innovations are helping in the remote operation of the zero turn electric turn mowers.
The amalgamation of mobile phone technology with the zero turn electric turn mowers is quite interesting and fascinating. It helps bring about improved efficiency and safer use of electric turn mowers. Many safety features are being built into modern-day mowers that have zero turn features and which run totally on electricity.
Gas Vs Electric
Gas mowers still continue to be used in many homes and other places. However, there is no doubt that electric lawn mowers are beginning to capture the imagination and markets dominated by gas mowers. Let us briefly look at gas and electric lawn mowers, and we may have reasons to believe that it makes better sense to go in for zero turn electric mowers.
What is special about gas mowers?
Gas mowers have been in use for many decades now, and they certainly have some functional advantages. They are powerful and may be able to cut through any grass. Further, they have a decent run time, and depending on the fuel tank capacity, you can use them for extended periods of time in one go.
They are also known for being robust and durable. If you have a wet lawn, gas mowers still continue to offer unmatched performances. However, they require regular maintenance, and you could be stuck if you run out of gas in your home. They are not as safe as electric mowers because they spin the blades at a much faster pace.
What is special about electric lawn mowers?
Many people have started moving over the electric mowers with zero turn facilities because of their convenience and easy maintenance. Further, they have infinite run time, and once you have plugged them into the power source, you need not bother about running out of fuel or gas. In the absence of any storage tank, they are lightweight and easy to port around. Modern-day mowers also come with remote operation facilities; therefore, the problem of cables may also be a thing of the past.
Pros and Cons of Electric Mowers
- They are easy to use and easy to maintain.
- They are versatile and are available in different power capacities.
- You do not run the risk of running out of fuel when you are halfway through the job.
- In the absence of any gasoline or fuel storage tanks, they are lightweight and easy to move around from one place to another.
- They are safer because the speed of the rotor blades can be controlled.
- Very expensive compared to similar gas mowers.
- The uncertainty of reliability as most electric zero turn mowers are fairly new to the market
The 7 Best Electric Zero Turn Mowers
|Cub Cadet ZT1-42E
|Mean Green Nemesis
|Mean Green Rival
|48″ & 52″
|52″ & 60″
|16 kWh Li-ion
|up to 60Ah
|up to 2 Acres
|1.5 – 2.5 hrs.
|13 Ga. Stamp
|13 Ga. Stamp
|13 Ga. Stamp
|10 Ga. Fabricated
|10 Ga. Fabricated
|7 Ga. Fabricated
|7 Ga. Fabricated
|3-year unlimited hours/4-year battery
|3-year unlimited / 1-year battery
|2, 4, and 8 year warranties
|2-year unlimited / 5-year or 1500 hours
|2-year or 1200 hours
|2-year or 1200 hours
|$12,499 – $13,099
|$20,000 – $25,000
1. Cub Cadet ZT1 42E
Coming from the house of Cub Cadet, there are reasons to believe that this model ZT1 42E could be an ideal solution for those who have 2 acres to mow. It can cover 2 acres on a single charge. It also has many other benefits and features, and we are listing down a few of them.
Outside of just performance, this is an awesome-looking mower. It is pretty comfortable and has a couple of convenient features, like headlights. The Cub Cadet ZT1-42E electric lawn mower takes after the gas model ZT1 as far as design.
Overall, I think this is a great mower for the homeowner with a yard of fewer than 2 acres. It has a quality cut and is well-built on a tubular frame.
· Capable of cutting 2 acres of grass on a single charge.
· It offers 64% quieter operation compared to other such products in the market.
· It is easy to maintain.
· It takes around 4 hours to recharge fully.
· It offers impressive control when cutting tough grass and flora.
· You can sit comfortably and go through the cutting and pruning process
· Premium tires and offset front axle are also worth mentioning.
2. EGO POWER+ Z6 Zero Turn Mower (ZT4204L)
This is the latest offering from Ego Power, and therefore it is generating quite a bit of interest and excitement. It promises to be feature-rich with many unique benefits and versatile operations.
This mower has not quite been released yet but from all of our research, this mower is going to be great. It will be the perfect electric zero turn for homeowners.
One of the best features of this mower is the ability to add up to 6 batteries. This allows you to cut up to 5 acres of grass. It's one of the first of its kind and truly makes this a versatile residential zero turn.
- Mow up to 2 acres on a single charge
- It could be a path-breaking mower in more ways than one.
- It promises to feature the best of technology.
- It also offers the best peak power.
- It is capable of holding up to 6 EGO 56V ARC.
Let us now look at a few buying tips that could help you to zero in on the best electric zero turn mower.
Update: the EGO zero turn is now available!
3. Ryobi Zero-Turn Mower RY48ZTR75 and RY48ZTR100
The Ryobi 42in zero turn mower is a complete and total electric mower. It does away with the need for spark plugs, gas, or oil. Some more benefits may set it apart from many other such models in the market.
I'll be honest; this Ryobi zero turn has some great specs and an amazing price. It may lack some of the convenient features that other similar mowers have, but overall, it is a good value.
The only downside I see to this mower is the 1-year battery warranty. Almost every other brand offers at least 4 + years of warranty on the battery. This scares me a little, but there haven't been many complaints about these failures.
· Single battery charge offers 3 acres of continuous mowing.
· Comes with 4 brushless motors. They offer the best torque and power for easy blade cutting
· Comes with a 3-year limited warranty
· It can reach a max speed of 7 mph.
· It has a cutting height of 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches.
· It weighs around 597 lbs.
· It comes with an impressive cut capacity of 42 inches.
4. GreenWorks Commercial Z RZ48R
Many homeowners believe the Greenworks RZ48R could be a quality zero turn electric mower for their homes. This is because some specific features and functionalities are perfectly suited for homes. Let us look at some reasons why Z RZ484 could be a good value for money mower for homes.
The warranty on this mower is a bit different. It has a 2-year/500-hour warranty on the electronics and motors. The frame and build have a 4-year/500-hour warranty. Finally, the deck and batter have an 8-year/500-hour warranty. Overall, this warranty is pretty good when compared to other competitors.
· Capable of cutting 2.25 acres of grass and other weeds once fully charged.
· Made from high-quality 48 inches 10-gauge steel decks.
· Extremely durable and long-lasting.
· Comes with unique ETO or Electric TakeOff
· 2 years warranty or 500 hours of operation
· Build and frame warranty for 4 years/500 hours and battery & deck warranty for 8 years/500 hours.
5. Gravely EVZT
No doubt, Gravely has earned the distinction of being a well-known and proven supplier of different types of mowers. Therefore this zero turn Electric mower, model EVZT could be a good buy because of some interesting features and benefits. Here are a few of the important ones.
This is a full commercial zero turn that only a couple of other brands can even compare with. It is a heavy-duty machine that is meant to be used by lawn care professionals. The obvious scare on this mower is the price. It is extremely expensive compared to a gas-powered equivalent commercial zero turn mower.
· This is perhaps the first all-day commercial and domestic zero turn mower.
· Does not produce jarring sounds that are so common with most mowers.
· The next-gen wheel drives offer stability, comfort, and speed.
· Constant drive spindles prevent motor damage and absorb blade impact.
· QuikSwap batteries ensure all day running of the mower.
6. Mean Green Nemesis (NXR48/52)
The days of gas mowers could well and truly be over for those who have a closer look at this model NXR48/52 from Mean Green. It is packed with a number of interesting features, and therefore, it offers excellent mowing while ensuring very good value for money. Here are some features that are worth mentioning.
· It is carefully crafted out of high-quality aluminum and high-strength steel.
· It is a combination of agility and strength.
· It comes with a low center of gravity.
· The option Rite-Ride Suspension is also worth mentioning.
· It is a zero gas, zero emission mower and therefore totally environment friendly.
· It runs on green lithium batteries.
· Weighs just 650 lbs and is lightweight.
7. Mean Green Rival 52/60
There are many reasons to believe that the Mean Green Rival could be one of the latest editions of mowers to hit the market. It is perhaps one of the few mowers that offer 7 hours of non-stop mowing once recharged. There are other features too that are interesting.
· It offers excellent mowing speeds of around 11.5 mph.
· You can choose between 52 or 60 inches decks.
· It will, for sure, be a dream mowing machine for many.
· It offers a perfect combination of power and speed.
· It is efficient and smart.
· It is quiet and does not disturb neighbors too much.
· You will love the interactive touch screen display.
When to Use an Electric Mower
There are many reasons for using an electric mower. If you are looking for something environmentally friendly, then electric mowers are the obvious choice. You also could use them if you want a quiet machine that does not disturb neighbors. If you want a fuel-free mower, then electric mowers are the best choice. You also could go in for these mowers if you do not want to spend a lot of time and money on maintenance.
Are electric mowers better than gas mowers?
There are reasons to believe that electric mowers are better than gas mowers. They do not depend on the availability of gas at all points in time. Once recharged, electric mowers can work for reasonably long periods of time. They are easy on maintenance and upkeep. Further, they are less noisy, and they are environmentally friendly.
Yard Size and Ground Type
Electric mowers can easily handle yards of around 2 to 3.5 acres. Further, they also can work well on even and uneven ground types. However, in the case of wet grounds, many times it has been found that electric mowers may not be the best choice.
If you are looking for home mowing needs, any mower with a horsepower of 11 to 25 would be enough. In case of commercial uses, look for mowers having HP of around 25 to 37.
Battery Life and Runtime
Most electric mowers offer extremely impressive runtime ranging from 3 hours to 7 hours. If you invest in high-quality mowers with lithium batteries, you can get a battery life of around 3 to 4 years. The runtime would directly depend on the capacity of the batteries.
Which Battery is Best?
There are two different types of batteries that are being used in mowers. These are Lithium-Ion and Lead-Acid. It would always be better to go in for lithium-ion batteries. They have a longer life, are more powerful, and require lower maintenance when compared to lead-acid deep cycle batteries.
The pricing of the electric mowers depends on various factors, including capacity, size, power, blade size, and so on. Ideally, the price range could be anywhere between $3000 to $5000, and you have lower-end models too that are priced around $2500
Are electric riding mowers worth it?
Yes, electric riding mowers are worth every dollar because of their ease of operation, ability to cover large areas, lower maintenance cost, and most importantly, because they are less noisy and eco-friendly.
Best Electric Zero Turn Mower
All the above seven electric mowers reviewed above are unique and versatile in their own ways. Hence, it may be tough to choose the best one out of the above. However, based on customer reviews, inputs, and other such factors, there are reasons to believe that the Cub Cadet ZT1 42E is the best electric zero turn.
If you're in the market for a commercial electric zero turn mower, it is definitely between Gravely and Mean Green's mowers. These are top brands that offer commercial machines. They are both fairly new, so time will be needed to determine which is truly the best.
Wrapping it up
There you have it, the best electric zero turn mowers on the market. These mowers are the way of the future… following in the footsteps of Tesla and other electric car manufacturers.
My prediction is that electric zero turn mowers will eventually take over the mower market. The convenience of battery powered equipment is something customers really like.
What Do You Think?
Do you have an electric zero turn mower? Let us know in the comments below which you have or want to get!
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers, sign up for our newsletter below!