Hustler Turf is an American brand name for mowers sold across the nation. They are known for being the most innovative and best outdoor power equipment available in the industry. Hustler mowers have been around since 1964 and are still going strong. One of the lineups in the walk-behind mowers is the Hustler Trimstar.
These self-propelled power monsters are loaded with reliability for getting the job done. Their horsepower ranges from 15 to 21.5 horsepower Kawasaki Motors with 36″ to 60″ decks.
Hustler Trimstar Lineup
|Specs||Trimstar 36||Trimstar 48||TrimStar 54||TrimStar 60|
|Engine||Kawasaki FS541||Kawasaki FS600||Kawasaki FS600||Kawasaki FS651|
|Engine Horsepower||15 hp||18.5 hp||18.5 hp||21.5 hp|
|Transaxles||Hydro-gear ZT-2800||Hydro-gear ZT-2800||Hydro-gear ZT-2800||Hydro-gear ZT-2800|
|Fuel Capacity||3.4 gal.||3.4 gal.||3.4 gal.||3.4 gal.|
|Speed||6.3 mph||6.3 mph||6.3 mph||6.3 mph|
|Warranty||5 years||5 years||5 years||5 years|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
There are three leading players of walk-behind mowers in the Hustler brand name. The Trimstar, Super S, and Super 88. They all have a five-year / 500-hour limited warranty on all the Hustler brands. Listed below are the main differences between the three walk-behinds.
- 15-21.5 HP Kawasaki Motor
- 36, 48, 54, and 60-inch decks
- 6.3 Miles Per Hour
- 15-29.5 HP Kawasaki Motor
- 36, 48, 52, and 60-inch decks
- Top speed 9 miles per hour
- 36 and 37 HP Vanguard Motor
- 88-inch Deck
- Top Speed 10 miles per hour
|Specs||TrimStar||Super S||Super 88|
|Engine||Kawasaki FS541, Kawasaki FS600, and Kawasaki FS651||Kawasaki FS541, FX600||Vanguard BigBlock, Vanguard BigBlock EFI w/ Oil Guard|
|Deck Size||36″, 48″, 54″, and 60″||36″, 48″, 52″, and 60″||88″|
|Transaxles||Hydro-gear ZT-2800||Hydro-Gear 10cc pump with Parker TL0195 wheel motors||Hydro-Gear 21cc pump with Parker TG0405 wheel motors|
|Engine Horsepower||15 hp, 18.5 hp, and 21.5 hp||15 hp, 19 hp||36, 37 hp|
|Fuel Capacity||3.4 gal.||6.5 gal.||13.9 gal.|
|Cutting Height||1.5″ to 4.5″||1.5″ to 5.5″||2″ to 5.5″|
|Speed||6.3 mph||8 mph||10 mph|
|Warranty||5 years||5 years||2 years|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
The Kawasaki motor is in all Hustler TrimStar walk-behind mowers. This model is the littlest of the three line-ups but still has plenty of power to go around with the 15 to 21.5 horsepower motors. All the engines are air-cooled and have three-year warranties on them.
The drive system is built for maximum stability and for ease of control. They operate with a dual hydro system which is made for heavy-duty performance and traction. The Hustler TrimStar was also designed with the operator in mind with the H-Bar Steering. Therefore, it is labeled as the easiest to use system in the field.
- Welded steel deck with 10 gauge with 11 gauge added to steel for reinforcements. It also has an 11 gauge rolled edge for protection against accidental hitting of the deck against objects and buildings.
- Service-friendly design made for making the maintenance life and service more accessible and simpler
- Dual Hydro System with heavy-duty performance and traction
- The deck lift is made accessible to control the height adjustments.
- H-Bar Steering is a patented steering bar that is the easiest to use the system. It is made to cut down on operator fatigue.
- Fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons
- Large drive tires for easier control with 20.”
- Cutting height 1.5″ to 4.5.”
- 500 hours or 5-year warranty with an option of 2-year warranty with no hours included.
- Top Speed 6.3 Miles Per Hour
- Transmission is the Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 with dual hydrostatic.
- Each one holds 2 quarts inside the reservoir.
- It has a hydraulic cooling system with a pump-mounted fan.
- The parking brake has an internal transmission mechanical brake.
There are two blades on the 36″ deck and three blades for each one starting with 48″ after that. As long as the blades are sharp and kept up with on the maintenance side, and the tires are properly inflated, the deck is level, and everything mechanically is in working condition, the Hustler TrimStar review will always say it is one of the best cuts on the market. These mowers know how to make a yard beautiful and neat.
The deck lift is hand operated with different options for the height 1.5″ to 4.5.” The PTO is an electric clutch, and the spindles are aluminum and have a steel shaft with ball bearings sealed inside the spindle. The deck is made with 7 to 11 gauge reinforced steel for protection and 11 gauge steel supporting the impact trim area.
Pros of Deck Design
- The reinforced steel protects the blades and the deck from damage on impact.
- Sealed ball bearings last longer with the reinforced mounts of 11 gauge steel for the spindles.
- Sealed ball bearings mean less maintenance.
- Has anti-scalp wheels to prevent the deck from cutting into the ground.
- Different options on the size of the deck
Cons of Deck Design
The only negative thing to say about the deck is the height adjustment is hand operated instead of hydraulic. It may be complicated for some people to work.
The durability is second to none for the 1.5″x2″ steel tubing frame. The front caster fork is fabricated with 3/8″ steel and mounts the caster wheel with bearings and a cap to protect from debris. The engine and fuel tank are well secured in between the deck and the control area. With proper maintenance, the structure will last a lifetime.
When it comes to comfort, the only thing that stands out is the H-Bar Steering, making it easy to steer the walk behind the mower. There are no seats and no suspension. With its powerful engine and heavy frame, the only thing to worry about is steering the walk behind the mower.
Hustler's equipment is yellow, and it is easy to tell everything is made of steel on the frame and bodywork. From the back to the front, it has the H-Bar steering with the control panels directly in front of the operator, which is considered the back of the mower.
The controls lever for the deck setting is on the side toward the bottom of the control panel. The plastic fuel tank is next, followed by the Kawasaki engine. The deck is in the front, with the back tires being the biggest and the front tires being the smallest.
With the steel frame and body, the quality says it all. Kawasaki's motors are from Japan, but the rest of the mower is manufactured and made in America with the most trusted parts for over half a century.
Pros of the Hustler TrimStar
- Easy to maneuver
- Easy to maintenance
- Trusted brand name with an excellent warranty
Cons of the Hustler TrimStar
- Heavyweight with each deck size between 500 and 700 pounds.
- No seat
- No hydraulics for deck height adjustments
|Performance:||(4 / 5)|
|Cut Quality:||(4 / 5)|
|Durability:||(4 / 5)|
|Comfort:||(4 / 5)|
|Price:||(4 / 5)|
|Overall:||(4 / 5)|
Hustler's price according to the horsepower and deck size is listed below.
- 15hp 36″ – $8,911
- 18.5hp 48″ – $9,647
- 18.5hp 54″ – $10,677
- 22hp 60″ – $8,172
Wrapping It Up
Hustler Turf mowers have been around for years. With the new styles and technology, they will continue to innovate and dominate the industry. All features are built into the walk behind mower, making it one of the most reliable mowers in the line-up. The bottom line is the proof is shown once everything is explained in detail. It is an item you can trust.
What Do You Think?
What do you think of the Hustler TrimStar? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers sign up for our newsletter below!
Images are from Hustler.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join over 1200+ others on our mailing list and receive the latest news on commercial/residential lawnmowers, handheld equipment, and the lawn care industry. You will also receive a link to our most popular mower resources toolkit!