John Deere lawn mowers are one of the best riding mowers that are capable of your yard transformation. With easy-to-use attachments, you can use the mower effortlessly, and it provides you with full control.
What type of John Deere lawn mower are you interested in? John Deere provides different lawn mowers for diverse purposes. The John Deere Z950M is an excellent example of a residential riding lawnmower.
If you are interested in the John Deere Z950M lawn mower and would like to get an honest review, continue reading to the end. This John Deere Z950M Review contains well-researched informative information on features, engine quality, and comparison with other company’s brand, among other information that is critical to your decision making.
Comparison of John Deere Z950M And John Deere Z950R
Differences between the two John Deere lawn mowers
- The warranty of the Z950R is slightly better than the Z950M.
- The Z950R is 2 mph faster than the Z950M.
- The Z950R has a foot brake as the Z950M only has a hand brake.
Similarities between the two John Deere lawn mowers
- Both lawn mowers perform excellently with an engine power of 27 hp
- Both have the same size fuel tank capacity of 11.5 gallons
- The lift system of these two lawnmowers is great
- Both have installed propane conversion kits
- They provide a better cutting experience by 72 in, 183cm, 60in, and 152cm for the mowing deck.
- They are fitted with three seats that offer exceptional comfort to the operator.
- The spindle assembly provides greater performance and reliability in the two mowers.
- Both can perform excellently with numerous attachments and accessories like a rear blade, mowers, bucket, and loaders, among others.
|John Deere Z950M
|John Deere Z950R
|60, 72 in.
|60, 72 in.
|27 hp Kawasaki FX850V
|27 hp Kawasaki FX850V
|Blade Tip Speed
|Approximately 18,000 fpm
|Approximately 18,000 fpm
|Fuel tank capacity
Engine Power Of John Deere Z950M Compared To Other Lawn Mowers
The commercial-grade engine John Deere Z950M has a powerful Kawasaki gas engine of 27 hp. An air-cooled vertical shaft engine powers both the John Deere Z950M and Z950R. The Z950M engine is characterized by:
- An overhead valve design that facilitates desirable fuel efficiency and more horsepower per cubic of displacement
- It has full-pressure lubrication with a full-flow filter that minimizes the engine’s wear and tears by facilitating lubrication even when operating on a hillside or uneven terrain. The oil filter ensures the oil remains clean for a prolonged engine life span.
- The aluminum block engines dissipate heat effectively, facilitate lightweight yet vast construction with an air-cooled engine design.
- Further, the mower’s drive system is equipped with a dual-element canister-style air filter easily accessible from the rear without tools.
How does this system work?
The filtration system sucks clean air above the engine filters the dust to avoid damaging the engine. The filters are easily changeable when necessary. The pre-cleaners offer additional protection to the engine against dust and applications.
On the other hand, mowers like the ZTrakTMZ900 mower are equipped with a single fill fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 43.5L, enabling the user to operate without refueling. The fuel gauge makes it easy to see the fuel level in the tank, while the top draw provides additional safety. The fuel filter neck is angled to make it easy for an operator to fuel the process completely.
Features Of John Deere Z950M
- It is fitted with a 7-Iron™ PRO Mowing Deck that provides extra durability while improving mowing performance.
- The Z950M is equipped with either a side-discharge or mulch on demand ™ 7-Iron PRO deck. The 7-Iron PRO mower decks are durable and have high performance delivering high-quality cuts in diverse conditions.
- Available mulch deck on Demand TM deck
- The mulch on-demand deck provides unprecedented levels of productivity to commercial mowers. The ability to change between mulching operation and side discharge ensures most clippings are out of landscaping features.
- FastbackTM PRO rear-discharge mower deck
- For commercial landscaping purposes, the rear discharge deck ensures productivity, trimming ability, and operator safety. Further, this feature facilitates a zero-turn mowing solution, whether in gas or diesel machine. The rear discharge mower deck is suited for parks, schools, playgrounds, and traffic areas.
- Super comfortable three seats
- With a John Deere Z950M lawn mower, you have three comfortable seats at your disposal. These have been fixed at the factory, and they include a deluxe comfort seat with armrests, armrest, and isolation and a fully adjustable suspension seat with armrest. The seats can travel about 2in high to absorb bumps for a significantly comfortable ride. The control lever can easily lock our suspension movement if one desires to do so.
- A powerful 27-hp (20.1kw) gas commercial-grade engine
What are the engine features?
- It has an overhead valve design providing more horsepower per cubic inch of displacement and better fuel efficiency.
- It has full-pressure lubrication filled with a full-flow filter minimizing the engine wear and tear, while the oils filter ensures the oil remains clean for a prolonged engine life span.
- It has a vertical shaft.
- It is fitted with easy access, a dual-element air filter with a faster latch release.
- It has aluminum block engines that effectively dissipate heat.
Cut Quality Of The John Deere Z950M Lawnmower
The 7-iron PRO mower decks deliver a high-quality cut in diverse conditions. The deck is suspended and supported by the machine providing a level cut. The cutting heights are adjustable facilitating desired level cuts of the grass. The front edge is raised above the blade plane, allowing even cutting off all tall grass.
The deck has rectangular edge reinforcement and the rounded corners of the stamped deck that play a significant role in distributing stress and minimizing potential damage to the mower. Also, it is made for seven gauges 4.6mm steel, minimizing the number of welds and providing smooth and less sharp corners.
The deck design is 5.5in deeper, providing excellent airflow for effective material processing. Additionally, it is fitted with a fast-changer cutting height adjustment.
The Durability Of John Deere Z950M
In terms of durability, this mower is built to last long. The heavy-duty frame provides extra strength and durability to the machine. The full-pressure lubrication minimizes the engine wear and tear while the oil filters facilitate oil cleaning, prolonging the engine life span.
Comfort Of Z950M
How comfortable is John Deere Z950M?
When we talk of comfortability, we are looking at the seats. There are three options available for this brand, all of which the manufacturer installs. They include:
- Deluxe comfort seat with armrest
- Deluxe comfort seat with armrest and isolation
- Fully adjustable suspension seat with armrest
Each one of these seats has a comfortable glide suspension system that offers powerful comfort over uneven surfaces. The seat can rise to 2in before and after to absorb the bump ensuring a comfortable ride. The one-level facilitates seat sliding 3in back and forth, increasing seating position comfortability.
The rubber spring on seats with armrest increases rides comfortability. The one with isolation mounting facilitates reduced vibration for users who do not need full suspension seat adjustments.
How does the mower look? John Deere Z950M has a larger mower deck size of about 60 to 72inch which provides enough space to fit a deluxe comfort seat. The blade has a high speed of 4486m facilitating even cuts of tall grass. The break-and-go starting system facilitates the easier starting of the mower.
There are two adjustable levers with two height position that ensures full range control of operations. The tracking adjustment enables the operator to keep the mower straight and provide professional striping results.
The mower is made with high-quality material that increases durability. For instance, the mowing deck is made of 7-iron TM PRO.
Pros And Cons
- It is durable as it is made of high-quality material
- It is easy to use compared to weed eaters among other grass and weed cutters
- It is lightweight
- It has a large fuel tank capacity requiring no refill while working
- It is comfortable as it is fitted with adjustable seats
- Provides excellent cut for tall grass even on uneven terrains
- It is expensive
- High fuel consumption rate of about 4.2L/ hour
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.5 / 5)
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.1 / 5)
The price of a John Deere Z950M lawn mower starts at $12129
Wrapping It Up
If you were not sure whether John Deere Z950M is an excellent lawnmower, I hope you have all the information necessary to make an informed decision after reading this John Deere Z950M review. There are a lot of things to love about this mower. While the price might seem high, it is worth every shilling was given what it can help you achieve compared to other smaller equipment like chainsaws, weed eaters, and blowers.
What Do You Think?
After reading this John Deere Z950M review, what do you think? Is the John Deere Z950M better compared to other mowers? Let us know in the comments below.
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers sign up for our newsletter below!
Images are from John Deere.