EGO Power Commercial Series has a list of tools and machines people use daily in the lawn and landscaping industry. But what makes them unique and stand out above the rest of the manufacturers? Their equipment operates all on brushless motors.
The EGO zero-turn mower is one of the commercial equipment lineups that runs on a brushless motor with lithium batteries. Don't let the rechargeable batteries scare you. These mowers are built to handle the job.
The EGO ZT4204L has a brushless motor equal to a gas motor with a 22 horsepower brushed motor. The EGO engine brand is the same name as the mower itself. The technology + Peak Power completes the power to hold four to six EGO 56V ARC Lithium batteries. Four batteries are included for minimal power, which cuts up to two acres of land. Adding the two extra batteries will allow for a longer cutting time for another half an acre to an acre.
The EGO zero turn mower's drive system has three driving modes, Sport, Standard, and Control. It can cut three to seven miles per hour. Its top speed is eight miles per hour, traveling only. All it takes to switch modes is pushing a button to operate off of a direct drive transmission.
Even though this is the only riding mower on the EGO lineup, the features stand out among all mowers. Many would not think this type of mower would be this good when you think of brushless motors for a commercial riding mower. Listed below are the features that make the EGO zero-turn mower a remarkable piece of equipment for landscapers.
- It has the same amount of power as a gas 22 horsepower mower.
- There is a maximum run time with the ability to hold up to six batteries.
- Included with the mower comes 4 EGO 56V ARC Lithium batteries.
- A single charge with four batteries cuts up to two acres easily.
- This mower is the first of its kind in the world for a zero-turn riding mower.
- In travel mode, the mower can reach top speeds of 8MPH.
- The ride can be customized with the user interface. This feature allows for the ultimate control.
- It has three driving modes that deal with speed while traveling or cutting. They are control, standard, and sport and can get switched all at the push of a button.
- It comes with a seat that has the maximum adjustable suspension for added comfort.
- After assembly, the mower weighs 447.53 pounds.
- It has a rear attachment compatible with hookups and assemblies to pull carts and other landscaping items.
- This mower has a cutting width of 42 inches.
- It has a dual lap bar for easy steering.
- There are ten different positions for the deck height of 1.5″ to 4.5″.
- The kits are sold separately, but it has the option for a bag or mulch kit.
- It has a USB charging port, Bluetooth option, and a phone holder to keep you connected at all times.
- The construction is built for weather resistance.
- The blades have five-speed adjustments from 2400 to 3200 RPM.
- The deck has a hose attachment for cleaning the deck after use.
The transmission for the mower allows it to cut slow from three to five miles per hour if the grass is thicker or taller than the average height. It can cut up to six or seven miles per hour when the grass is shorter. When traveling to get the mower from one destination to another, it can reach a top speed of 8MPH. In reverse, the speed can reach 3.5MPH. It all operates at the push of a button, unlike other zero-turn mowers with hydraulic transmissions. The mower can also tow up to 250 pounds.
The 42″ deck has two blades that operate at different speeds 2400, 2600, 2800, 3000. When put in turbo mode, the RPMs reach 3200. It offers the best cut possible, cutting evenly throughout the yard. Naturally, the blades need to be sharp and in tip-top shape, and the proper air pressure must be in all the tires.
The deck is designed to add the attachments of a bag or for a mulch kit. Both add beauty to the cut without all the grass trimmings blown all over the yard. When the grass is thick or wet, it will not leave all the clippings all over the yard with the attachments.
Pros of the Deck Design
- The attachment options are a significant plus to getting the lawn looking perfect.
- The different RPM speeds allow the deck to keep up with the most demanding jobs.
- The hose attachment allows for easy maintenance and clean-up of the underside of the deck, keeping it rust-free.
- The 42″ cut enables the mower to fit in most gates and yards.
- There are different options for the placement of the deck with ten different height levels.
- It has a deck protector to keep it from getting damaged should the operator hit something.
- There is an anti-scalp wheel to prevent the deck from cutting into the ground.
Cons of the Deck Design
- The higher the RPM, the less battery time for the mower to operate.
- It only comes in a 42″ cut with no other options.
This mower is durable and comes with a five-year warranty for the mower, charger, and battery. Since it is a brushless motor, there is little to no maintenance. And it is built to last with its IPX4 weather-resistant build. There are no weak points to mention.
The EGO zero turn mower is designed with comfort at the focal point. The seat has added suspension to cushion the bumps, and the controls and seat are adjustable. It also has a high-quality footrest for proper seating and helps with posture. There is a spot for the added luxuries of the cup holder and all the phone hookups, so you still feel like it is modern-day living.
The look is impressive and has a modern-day style of technology. From far, it looks like all the rest of the zero-turn mowers until you look closely. The details of the brushless motor design are the most noticeable thing that is different.
Every detail given says the EGO zero turn is built with the best quality parts. The warranty says it alone as it is up to five years, which is more than commercial brushed mowers on the market. It is a well-thought design with the most durable parts and added protection for the weak spots on the deck.
Pros for the EGO Zero Turn Mower
- Easy to Operate
- Environmentally friendly
- Not as noisy as a brushed motor
Cons for the EGO Zero Turn Mower
- It takes two hours to charge the batteries.
- If there is a yard more significant than three acres, the battery life may not sustain a single charge.
- If the grass is wet or thick, it will wear down the battery charge.
|(4.3 / 5)
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.5 / 5)
|(4.3 / 5)
|(4.0 / 5)
|(4.2 / 5)
The EGO zero turn mower can be found at ACE Hardware or Lowes. It is a fairly expensive, but inline with other comparable battery powered zero turn mowers. The prices in the store locations may vary.
Wrapping It Up
As you can see, the latest technology proves the EGO zero turn mower can hold its own and, in some cases, surpass some top brands of commercial brushed mowers. This guide gives the best information of the good and bad points to better provide an educated decision if this mower is right for you and your lawn.
What Do You Think?
Are you planning to get the latest EGO Power+ 42” Z6 Zero Turn Riding Mower? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers sign up for our newsletter below!
Images are from EGO.