So, you live in an area that gets snow and you need an efficient way to blow it off your driveway and sidewalks? Snow blowers in general are great tools that almost every homeowner needs that lives in a snow region. The real question is which one do you need? There are so many different types and models.
Another big consideration is your budget. If your budget for a new snow blower is under 1000 this is the article for you.
There are three different types of snow blowers including single, two, and three stage. The two stage snow blowers will have a vast selection from residential to commercial machines. These are a perfect upgrade from a single stage snow blower if you have moderate to heavy snow.
In this article, we are going to look at different snow blowers and list the 6 best snow blowers that are under $1000.
2 Stage Snow Blowers under $1000 Overview
Below are the best snow blowers under $1000 that are available in the market today. Be sure to check the full reviews and prices on these great snow blowers.
Note: we may receive a small commission from the links below. This does not influence our reviews nor will it affect your price. Consider it a thank you to us and allow us to continue providing great reviews.
|Snow Blower||Width||Engine||Rating||Full |
|Husqvarna ST224||24″||208cc||4.0 / 5||Review||Check Price|
|Cub Cadet 2X||24″||243cc||4.3 / 5||Review||Check Price|
|Poulan PR241||24″||208cc||4.5 / 5||n/a||Check Price|
|B & S S1024||24″||208cc||4.0 / 5||n/a||Check Price|
|EGO SNT2400||24″||Electric||4.2 / 5||Review||Check Price|
|Ariens Classic||24″||208cc||4.5 / 5||n/a||Check Price|
1. Husqvarna ST224 Snow Blower
The Husqvarna ST224 is a snow blower made for homeowners who require a high-performance snow remover suitable for clearing snow from large pathways and driveways.
• It has a two-stage system
• It comes with powerful LED lights that make it possible to operate the machine when it is dark
• It has a power steering that gives the user superior maneuverability in harsh conditions
• For improved ergonomics, this snow blower has an adjustable handle height
• It has a 24-inch working width.
• It has a gross torque of 9.5 lb. per feet.
• It has a 0.69-gallon fuel tank volume (with reserve)
• It has a 6.3 horsepower.
• It has a cylinder displacement of 12.69 cu.inch.
• It has a 58.5 x 25.0 x 43.75 in (l x w x h)
• It weighs 198.6 lbs.
• It has a friction disc transmission type.
• It has six transmission steps forward, and one transmission steps reverse.
• It is suitable for use by users with different height as it has adjustable height handles
• It has LED headlights making its operation in the dark possible
• For smaller users, it can prove to be difficult to maneuver
2. Cub Cadet 2X 24” Snow Blower
Cub Cadet has been a leader in residential outdoor power equipment for a long time. Their snow blowers are no exception. They are well built machines and come in at a great price.
The Cub Cadet 2X is a solid snow blower under $1000. If you have moderate amounts of snow this will be a great machine for you. It is packed with tons of features and value.
- The Cub Cadet snow blower engine is very powerful and is equipped with a push-button electric start.
- It has a good size clearing width and heavy duty augers
- It has 15-inch X-TracTM tires that in snowy conditions provide a strong traction
- The snow blower has dual LED headlights that make it possible to use in the dark
- Durable skid shoes and easy to adjust/replace
- Ideal for 12 inches of snowfall and 8-15 car length driveways
- 24 in. clearing width
- 12 in serrated steel, heavy duty augers
- 243cc electric start Cub Cadet 4-cycle OHV engine
- Power steering
- 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds
- 3 year residential and 5 year gearbox warranty
• It is high quality and well designed for snow clearing
• It is suitable for handling deep wet snow
• It does not have pre-installed heated grips
3. Poulan PR241 Snow Blower
The Poulan PR241 snow blower is a suitable winter tool for use on snow-covered gravel or paved area to clear a path. The Poulan snow blower is the most appropriate solution for snow removable. Poulan has been around a while and is known for good residential products.
Note: there are some reviews stating the snow blower coming without oil in the engine. Before using this snow blower (or any other) be sure to check if it has oil in it.
• It can clear a 24-inch path and has one reverse and six forward speeds that are highly designed for snow removal in all winter conditions.
• It comes with a chute control that gives you the power to remove and discharge the snow in any desired direction.
• It has steel ribbon augers that are powerful that allow the snow blower to break through the ice and snow with ease and propel it back to the impeller blades quickening the snow removal process.
• With the Poulan snow blower comes a pull start 4-cycle engine that removes the need to mix gas and oil.
- It has an impeller diameter of 12 inches
- It has a 23-inch intake height
- The Poulan snow blower has a tire size of 13 inches
- It has a working width of 24 inches
- Its engine has a cylinder displacement of 208cm3
- It has a 0.71-gallon fuel tank volume (with reserve)
- LCT manufactures the engine
- It has a two-stage blower type
- The Poulan snow blower has a friction disc transmission type drive system with one transmission steps reverse and a six transmission step forward.
- 2 year limited warranty and 4 year engine warranty
• The Poulan snow blower can be used in all weather conditions
• It is easy and quick to set up
• It is durable and is suitable for use in all the winter conditions
• It does not come equipped with a power steering although it has a power drive
• Requires more care when it comes to storage and maintenance.
4. Briggs and Stratton S1024 Snow Blower
The Briggs and Stratton S1024 snow blower is suitable for light and medium snowfalls, enabling you to clear the small to medium pathways and driveways easily.
• It has a superior engine that is designed to function even in extreme winter conditions.
• The blower has a manual chute rotation that enables the user to adjust the displacement direction of the snow using the left side chute crank from left to right.
• It has an electric push-button start that makes it easy and quick to start the engine even at low temperatures of about -200 F.
• It has a friction disc drive transmission with two reverse and six reverse speeds
• It has a durable chute and steel frame.
• It has a strong and durable notched steel auger that removes ice and snow with ease.
- 24″ clearing wideth
- 12 in steel auger
- 14 x 4 arctic trac tires
- 184 lbs
- Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle OHV 950 Snow Series (208cc)
- 9.5 lb-ft engine power output
- 5-6 hp engine
- Manual recoil and 230v electric start
- Self-propelled, friction disc drive
- 5 forward and 2 reverse speeds
- 3 year limited warranty
• It is a very user-friendly snow blower that is easy to use
• It has LED lights that make it possible to work in the dark
• It has an adjustable manual chute rotation
• It is suitable for tackling a large amount of snow
• It isn't quiet
• It is not eco-friendly
5. Ego Snow Blower
• It uses 2 EGO 56V ARC lithium batteries
• Clears snow and ice in a 24-inch width and has an intake height of 20 inches
• It has 4 LED lights that make it suitable for use in the dark
• It has a 200-degree chute and a variable speed auger that allows you to displace the snow wherever you want it to be
• It uses gas without producing fuss, fumes, and noise
- 24″ clearing width
- 15 in wheel size
- 143.3 lbs (without battery pack)
- Brushless electric motor with PeakPower Technology
- 2 EGO 56V Arc Lithium batteries
- Self propelled
- Variable speed control
- Variable speed auger control
- 5 year tool warranty
• It is an easy machine to control
• It is compact and requires a relatively small storage space
• It has 4 LED lights that make it suitable for use in the dark
• It has heavy batteries that can be challenging to insert especially for the aged people
6. Ariens Classic Snow Blower
The Ariens Classic snow blower is a powerful, durable, and easy to use the machine that is designed with an aluminum gear case that prevents oil leakages.
• It is designed all-through using steel
• It has an aluminum gear case
• It has a remote cap and chute that makes a 205-degree rotation
• A 120v electric start push button
- 24″ clearing width
- 13 in Polar Trac tires
- Length: 54.4 in, Width: 26.4 in, Height: 42.9 in
- 173.3 lbs
- 208cc Ariens AX engine
- 9.5lb engine power
- Self-propelled, disc-o-matic drive system
- 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds
- 3 year residential, 90 day commercial warranty
• It is built throughout using steel to make it durable
• It has a high auger ratio to clear out more snow
• It has an electric start push-button for quick and easy use in adverse winter conditions
• It does not have heated handlebars
• Has a noisy engine
Buying Guide – 2 Stage Snow Blower Under $1000
Now that you have the 6 best two-stage snow blowers under $1000 we will go over some things to look for and common questions. Since it can be a fairly large purchase we want to educate you on what to look for in a snow blower.
The first big thing to know is the difference between 2-stage and single stage snow blowers.
2-Stage Snow Blowers vs 1-Stage Snow Blowers
The snow blowers are commonly divided into two classes:
- The single-stage
- The two-stage
Single Stage Snow Blower
On this snow blower, the auger pulls into the machine snow directing it out through a discharge chute. On single-stage snow blowers, there is contact between the ground and the auger; thus, it is not suitable for working on the unpaved surface.
• They are suitable for clearing smooth surfaces
• Have more electric vs gas choices
• Have a single auger that drives and cuts
• They are restricted to 8 inches or less
• They do not move easily in wet snow
Two-Stage Snow Blower
On this snow blower, the auger's function is to pull snow into the blower, feeding it to a high-speed impeller. The impeller then directs the snow out through a discharge chute. These snow blowers are suitable for handling deeper snow depths as compared to the single-stage snow blowers. Besides, they are convenient to use on unpaved surfaces as their augers do not have contact with the ground.
• They have a diverse variety of sizes to cater to different needs
• They are perfect for gravel and concrete drives
• Have both gear and auger driven choices
• They are suitable for both commercial and residential use
• They require consistent maintenance
• Most of them are noisy
• The user has to pay for gas and oil
Main Features of a Snow Blower
There are many features that may or may not come with a snow blower. It is important to know the difference between these features. A lot of the features will be convenient more than anything.
Different brands will have different features and names for the given feature. The absolute must-haves for a two-stage snow blower is a self-propelled transmission, a good engine, and a steel auger. The rest mainly features that will improve comfort and performance while snow blowing.
Below are the main features that one should look for when purchasing a snowblower.
- Single-handed operation
- Heated handgrips
- Easy-turn capabilities
- Chute controls
- Multiple speeds
Snow Blower Maintenance
- Change the spark plug in the case of its failure
- Inspect the belts
- Check the shave plate
- Check to see if there is any damage to the shear pins
- Regularly change the oil
The warranty for a snow blower is very important. You want to make sure the machine is covered in case there is a manufacturing malfunction. The length of warranties will vary but most will be between 3 – 5 years for a homeowner.
The warranty of a snow blower may actually be the determining factor between your purchasing decision. Just be sure to check what is covered under the warranty.
Some manufactures will put a long warranty but basically cover nothing with it except the frame of the machine. Don't fall for this little marketing trick.
Overall, the main brand of snow blowers with have similar warranties. It may be something to look into before making your final purchasing decision.
Best Time to Buy a Snow Blower
The best time to purchase a snow blower with the best deal is just before the beginning of the snow season in August, September, and the early days of October. It is advantageous as the snow blower prices are still low as compared to the actual snow seasons.
The reason for this is because inventory levels are still high around this time. Snow Blowers are a very interesting product because snow isn't guaranteed which means stores may be sitting with high inventories.
On the same hand, if it snows a lot their inventories may because very low which will drive the price up. It is a very big challenge for manufacturers to estimate the needed level of production/inventory. This makes it safest to purchase in early fall just before the snow begins to come.
Which Snow Blower Should You Choose?
If I lived in a snow region, owned a house, and was in the market for a snow blower tomorrow I will go with either the Cub Cadet 2X, Poulan PR241, or EGO SNT2400. These are my favorite as far as specs and overall performance.
I think it can come down to personal preference in many cases. Other times it may come down to finding the best deal. If I were able to find the Husqvarna ST224 on a great deal I would go with that over the other brands. It will just depend based on when you are in the market for a snow blower.
If I were able to stretch my budget a good amount I would probably take a look at the Honda snow blowers. These things are top of the line and will definitely last forever. These snow blowers can also run up into the mind $2000 range though.
Overall, it will depend on your situation. All of the 6 brands above can be trusted though. I have personally demoed each of them and used them for extended periods of time. They are quality machines and will hold up for many years.
What is the best 2 stage snow blower for the money?
The best gas powered 2 stage snow blower for the money is the Briggs and Stratton S1024. My second option would be the Poulan PR241 for overall value. These offer the best specs at the best price point.
These units can also be delivered right to your door. You really can't beat these two stage snow blowers for the price they are offered at.
If you want to go green, the best 2 stage snow blower for the money is the EGO SNT2400. Honestly, when you compare the specs and price of this machine to the rest of the competition this machine wins almost every time. It is at such a competitive price, especially if you already have other EGO products with the EGO batteries.
Wrapping it up
Snow blowers are the perfect and ultimate winter tools for snow clearing. The above article will help you figure out the best snow blower that perfectly suits your needs.
You really can't go wrong with either of the above brands. They are all reputable companies that make quality products. Best of luck with your new snow blower!
What do you think?
Do you have a two stage snow blower under $1000? Leave a comment below telling us which one you have and how you like it!
If you’re interested in staying up to date on reviews of the latest mowers, snow blowers, and other outdoor power equipment make sure you sign up for our newsletter below!